Mobile Offices in Kempsey and Crescent Head – Friday 21 May
Call 5507 9555 to book an appointment
Residents in Nambucca Shire will have peace of mind when visiting Main Beach, with improvements on the way for the coastal seawall thanks to the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund, co-funded by the NSW and Commonwealth Governments.
Member for Oxley Melinda Pavey today announced $3.6 million for a Coastal Protection Wall project to fund the replacement of the failing sea wall at Main Beach.
Mrs Pavey said a suitably engineered coastal sea wall would be developed and installed, providing essential protection of community assets such as roadways and the carpark.
“Mother Nature has really lashed our region in the past 12 months from drought to bushfires and floods, and this funding will work in our favour to reduce the impacts of coastal erosion in Nambucca,” she said.
“In high tides it is not unusual to have to drive through water from the beach which has made its way past the seawall and flooded parts of the road and the carpark. This project will help to give locals and tourists valuable peace of mind when visiting our beautiful Main Beach.
“The new and improved seawall will provide added benefits, helping to prevent the shoreline from washing away in the event of big swells and storm fronts, preserving our popular beach and coastline so it can be enjoyed for many years to come.”
Federal Member for Cowper Pat Conaghan welcomed the first round of Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund being awarded and wanted to remind residents another grant opportunity was open until 11 December.
“As residents and businesses continue recovering from the devastating 2019-20 bushfires, our Federal and State Liberal Nationals Governments are backing projects like the Main Beach seawall to support jobs and the region’s future prosperity,” he said.
“I thank Nambucca Valley Council for submitting a grant application and gaining this funding to benefit the community and the Main Beach Surf Lifesaving Club.”
Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund had been designed to deliver infrastructure and initiatives to boost economic and social recovery, increase community preparedness for future natural disasters, and help to get residents back on their feet.
Applications for a share of $250 million can be submitted in the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund open round, which are open until 11 December 2020.
Grants of between $200,000 and $20 million will be available to organisations through the open round, including councils, joint organisations, business chambers, charities, businesses and Local Aboriginal Land Councils to deliver successful projects.
For more information and guidelines visit the NSW Government website or phone 1300 679 673.
Mr Conaghan – Liz Spry 0418 928 744
Ms Pavey – Alice Burnet 0439 407 567